Week 5 Story: Sindbad

 I was a party animal. My family was rich and I was living my best life off of my inheritance. All the ladies, all the booze, anything you could imagine and life couldn't get much better. I was living everyone's dream until one terrible day when my whole life would change forever. 

It was a Tuesday morning, I remember it like it was yesterday, and I woke up with a massive hangover. I roll out of bed, check my safe, and realize I only have a fraction of the money that I started out with. This was not a good sign and something had to change. I did not know what to do because I had never had to work before. I had a moment where I freaked out but eventually I came up with a plan. I was going to sell everything and join a group of merchants that trade by sea. This could be fun right? Constant adventure by sea, who knows what this new life could bring!

First Voyage

Me and the crew set sail for the East Indies. This was a routine trip and we were hoping to make some good trades and sales at the markets there. Unfortunately, an unexpected detour would soon change the course of our entire trip. 

A huge storm formed while we were at sea. A storm so big and so powerful that I am blessed to have even been able to survive. The waves were thirty to forty feet tall and to top it all off, there was some incredibly dangerous sea life that was surrounding our boat throughout the storm. Me and my crew struggle for hours but finally, our boat gets slammed into what looked like an island. Unfortunately for us, the "island" was actually a massive sea demon and it was not happy with us. The sea demon whipped its body around, grabbed our boat with its mouth, and threw us way up into the air. Very few of us survived the initial bite on the boat and even fewer survived the fall back into the water. Shortly after this, I passed out and luckily floated to a nearby island.

At the new island, a man stumbled upon my body and woke me up. He explained that there were a few people that inhabited the island and brought me to them for some food and water. I stayed on the island for a few weeks as we built a small boat so I could attempt to make it back home. Eventually, the boat was ready, I had fully recovered, and I decided to set sail back home. 

The journey back home was an interesting ride.

Was it fun? No.

Was it easy? No.

How long did it take? Way too long.

Did I run into any problems? Oh yes but that is a story for another time. 

(Ocean Storm: Nela Radomirovic)

Bibliography: "First Voyage" Andrew Lang. Arabian Nights Entertainments. Sindbad

Author's Note: I chose to rewrite this story but add some different twists and a little more background information to make Sindbad more personable and relatable. I loved writing about young party animal Sindbad but also liked the original plot where he recognizes his immaturity and changes his ways. I decided to keep the same theme of the ocean sailor and merchant because there is a lot of fun things you can come up with for a voyage story. In the original, there was a storm but it was not as bad of a storm as I wanted so in my version I made it worse. In the original, the "island" was actually a whale but I wanted to make it more scary so I made it a sea demon. I made the sea demon attack the boat in order to provide some further explanation on the lives of the crew. I went ahead and killed off some the crew for dramatic effect and to provide closure for the reader in knowing what actually happened. Lastly, I ended the story with a cliffhanger as Sindbad attempts to make his way back home. 


Comments

  1. Hi Robbie!

    I am very excited to get to read Sindbad. That is my next weeks tales! I liked how you used so many details. I think that it makes a story whenever the writer enjoyed telling it and I can tell that you liked telling it. Also, I love that you made it first person. A lot of times when I retell these stories I am still in the mindset of it being characters and that is a really good idea! How did you decide to do the "story for another time". Is this how the original author wrote it? I think it is a fun idea to keep the readers intrigued. This leads the individual's to more questions. But, I would suggest if you do not plan on continuing the story to not use this. I am very intrigued by the journey's story (and of course I can read the story) but for your storybook, perhaps only using this if it will be clarified later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robbie!
    Your rewriting story is really amazing! I really like your idea about how to rewrite your story after read your author's notes. For instance, I enjoy you changed the huge whale to a sea demon and make it scary and terrible. Also, I love the last part of your story. You choose several questions and answers as your story's ending. They make the story more attractive and impressive. I feel excited to read following stories if there are any.

    I have one question for you. I realized that you said that Sindbad's journey is not fun at the last part. However, when I read the original story, as a reader, I think the following plots is really funny and I enjoy reading them although I know that they are dangerous for Sindbad. So, how would you balance these situations in your rewriting story?

    There is also one suggestion for you. Keeping writing more details about Sindbad's following stories! They are really helpful for me to imagine a scene in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robbie,
    I really enjoyed the perspective of Sinbad as a party animal. His way of telling the story and his thoughts was interesting to me.
    What if you described the sea creature in detail? Or the way that the ocean looks that Sinbad is on? Does he hear screams of the men who are dying? What is the man like who wakes him up? How does Sinbad actually feel on the journey back home? Sad? Full of grief for his dead sea mates?
    One suggestion I have for you is to maybe make his journey a little more high stakes. What is he really doing all of this for other than just being broke? Does he have a lady back home? A brother who he must take care of? What if the brother accompanies him on the voyage and loses his life? You could include anything really that would make the story more intense for the reader on why we want Sinbad to survive.
    You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Comment Wall

Week 2 Story: The Tiger, The Man, and The Jackal